When working with custom styles in a project / custom template determining which elements they are being applied to in the output is crucial (particularly if the custom style is not being applied to the correct element).
An effective way to "debug" your custom styles is to open your web output and use your selected web browsers developer tools. More information on the various browser tools can be found here:
- Chrome: https://developers.google.com/chrome-developer-tools/
- Internet Explorer: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg699337(v=vs.85).aspx
- Opera: http://www.opera.com/dragonfly/
- Firefox: http://getfirebug.com/
- Safari: https://developer.apple.com/technologies/safari/developer-tools.html